The famous cryptocurrency celebrates its 12th birthday! Bitcoin was indeed created in 2009 by a developer whose identity has remained a secret until then. To date, Bitcoin weighs more than 66 billion dollars. Back in 10 key dates on what is today the figurehead of cryptocurrency.
18 August 2008, creation of bitcoin.org
On 18 August 2008, the creators of Bitcoin reserved the domain name bitcoin.org. The transaction is made on AnonymousSpeech, allowing the instigators to remain unidentified. Only one name appears, that of Satoshi Nakamoto. His identity has remained secret during these 10 years, we do not know if this name refers to one or more people.
3 January 2009, birth of the first Bitcoins
In the new year 2009, Satoshi Nakamoto is releasing its first transaction block, Bloc Genesis. Its peculiarity is that these first 50 generated bitcoins are not a valid transaction, you can’t spend it if you change your address. The first real shipment of Bitcoins took place on January 12, 2009 between Satoshi Nakamoto and Hal Finney, a developer at PGP Corporation, mail encryption software.
May 22, 2010, first real Bitcoin purchase
An American developer named Laszlo Hanyecz spends 10,000 bitcoins to order two pizzas. This is the first purchase of a real property in Bitcoin. For the anecdote, it took him three days to find a pizzeria willing to accept cryptography.
February 2011, Bitcoin reaches the value of one dollar
The rise of cryptomony is gradually attracting attention. After reaching the value of the dollar and the euro at the beginning of the year, its value reaches €28 in June.
23 June 2011, MTGox wipes out its first hack
Bitcoin’s first global trading platform suffered its first hack on this date. To prove its solvency, Mark Karpeles, CEO of MTGox, sends a transaction of 424,242,424242 Bitcoin.
28 November 2013
Bitcoin is worth $1,000.
February 2014, MTGox goes bankrupt
On 7 February, the exchange platform announced that it “is no longer able to manage the influx of withdrawal requests” from the cryptomarket and took the decision to freeze Bitcoin assets, causing the price to fall. A few days later, a massive attack took place on several trading platforms. MTGox recorded a loss of 744,408 Bitcoins from its clients and 100,000 from the company, for a total of 350 million euros. The company officially announces bankruptcy a few days later.
August 2017, creation of Bitcoin Cash
Since 2016, a debate has been stirring up the community of developers undermining cryptography. Some believe that the size of the blocks should be increased in order to make transactions more fluid. However, this leads to an improvement in the hardware of the people in charge of the network. From this disagreement, Bitcoin Cash was born in August 2017, a new protocol that can be separated from Bitcoin while keeping the original code.
Bitcoin reaches a value of $19,981. This is the highest value ever recorded for Bitcoin.
- January 2: Bitcoin passes the $30,000 mark for the first time.
- February 8: A report filed with the SEC reveals that Tesla purchased $1.5 billion of bitcoin in January and planned to accept bitcoin as a means of payment.
- January 14: Release of Bitcoin Core version 0.21, which includes the Taproot code but will not be activated until a later version.
- February 11th: BNY Mellon, the oldest bank in the United States, announces that it will allow its customers to hold Bitcoins.
- 11 February: The first Bitcoin ETF is validated by Canadian regulators.
- 12 February: Bitcoin passes the €40,000 mark for the first time.
- 16 February: Bitcoin passes the 50,000 marks for the first time.
- 20 February: One Bitcoin = one gold ingot.
- 21 February: Bitcoin breaks a new record: €48,000 ($58,360).